Happy Earth Day from us at the The Leonardo to YOU! Here’s a fun Earth Day activity for you to enjoy by yourself or with your kids:
- Egg carton
- Planting soil
- Small spoon
- Spray bottle
- Awl, or wide sharp needle
1. Crack your eggs by slicing the top part of the egg (narrower end) with a sharp knife and gently pour out the inside of the egg (save these for a yummy omelet!)
2. Rinse the eggshells inside and out with water. Make sure all traces of egg are gone.
3. Use awl, or wide sharp needle to gently puncture a single hole in the base of the eggshell. This will create a drainage hole for your egg planter. During this step, you may have to remove parts of the thin membrane alongside the eggshell.
4. Place eggshells back in carton and spray gently with water using your spray bottle.
5. With a small spoon, gently scoop planting or potting soil into eggshell.
6. Plant seeds according to directions on package to determine depth and any other special care.
7. Spritz again gently with spray bottle and place in well lit area with sun indoors.
8. Once sprouts have grown large enough to transfer, thin them out and plant directly into the ground or larger planter after gently cracking the eggshell around them. The roots will grow beyond the eggshell into the soil, the shell will continue to provide nourishment to the plant and surrounding soil, and will eventually will biodegrade.