- This event has passed.
Spooktacular Family Festival
October 19, 2017 - October 22, 2017
Spooktacular Family Festival
October 19–22, 10 am – 5 pm
The Leonardo has been haunted! In conjunction with our annual exhibit Spooky Science, we want to show —YOU— our visitors a frightfully good time. On October 19th-22nd, bring the entire family to The Leonardo and come discover the science behind fear at our SPOOKTACULAR event. Walk through Spooky Science and feel the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Learn why some people have claimed they’ve seen ghosts.
This four-day event is the perfect setting for families to get ready for Halloween night and is sure to be exciting event for all the little mad scientists/artists out there.
Avoid the lines and purchase your tickets before heading to the museum!GET TICKETS
Schedule of Events:
– Spooktacular crafts! Pumpkin decorating, fuzzy spiders, Monster Mash Up paper dolls, and more.
– From 12 noon – 2pm: Cupcake decorating in Salt Bistro (*upcharge activity)
– Science Demos – Dry Ice and Sodium Alginate
– Spooky shorts in the In-Flight Theater
– Spooktacular art lounge installations – our C-131 is getting decked out by Pirates, and we’ll have a Steampunk inspired “Victorian Moon Lab” in Pixel Playland! During the festival itself, the Moon Lab will be accessible to members only.
Thursday, October 19th:
– 10:00am – 3:00pm Screen printing with Gypsy Gold Screen Printing (*Free, but guests must bring something to screen print on)
– 11:00am – FX Makeup workshop with our very own Brianna Burton!
– 1:00pm – Sugar Skulls and How To Build a Dia de los Muertos Altar with Marla Love, Founder and Director of Arte Primero
– 3:00pm – Makey Makey Ghosts outside of Flight
– 3:30pm – Wand Making Workshop with Cami Chatterton
Friday, October 20th:
– 11:00a and 2:30p – Magic Show with Remington!
– 1:00pm – Sugar Skulls and What to Wear to a Dia de los Muertos Celebration with Marla Love
– 3:00pm – Wand Making with Cami Chatterton
– 3:00p – close – Costume Consultations with local designer Betthy Salgado
Saturday, October 21:
– TBD The Moveable Boutique will be on site and open to guests to shop costumes and accessories.
– 11:00a – 1:00p – Robotics Workshop in the Computer Lab
– 12:00 – 5:00pm – Tintype Photo Booth from Blackburn Studios (photos starts at $40)
– 12:30p – 2:30 – Plaster Mask Making Workshop with Brenna Cavanaugh, costume designer, owner of The Moveable Boutique, designer and owner of Raven Designs jewelry.
– 1:30pm – Makey Makey Ghosts outside of Flight
– 2:00pm – Leo Saturday activities – Cardboard Automata monsters with Bruce, Make and Take with Mary Lee
– 3:00pm – FX Makeup Workshop and take-home Vampire Teeth with Jeff Carlisle
Sunday, October 22nd:
– 11:00am and 2:30pm – Magic Shows with Remington!
– 1:00pm – FX Makeup Workshop with Killian Fischer
– 2:30pm – Faux Antler Making Workshop with Meredith Thomas, owner and artist at A Merry Death Taxidermy and Oddities